Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What do I do now??

I feel torn. My good friend Christine pointed out recently how much she saved shopping at the new Super WalMart over our regular chain grocery store. Curious, yet not really believing it would be THAT much cheaper, DH and I headed out for SWM the other day to do some shopping (so many choices here in the middle of nowhere) and while there we checked the grocery options.

WOW.....seriously, WOW. Over and over again we discovered the prices of regularly purchased items to be lower. Much lower in some cases... Sigh, there is a dilema brewing for me. While, I like everyone else, want to shop wisely and save my family money, there is a part of me that rallies against the big box mentality that drives out the smaller, locally owned family businesses. I feel like if I leave the small, locally owned store to save 10% on a regular basis that I am selling out somehow, giving up and the very small, locally owned business that is one of the charms of small town living. On the other hand, saving my family money is important to me as well...

So, what to do...

2 comments:

Christine said...

Competition is GOOD.

Telling the small, locally-owned business that Walmart has better produce, cheaper, will encourage the small, locally-owned business to figure out some way to be better than WalMart.

Either that, or like Harvest Market ("Home of Moldy Strawberries") they will go out of business because they are crap.

Also, hey, if you are saving $$$ at WalMart, you could probably go to your cute store with that extra cash and buy something JUST FOR FUN. Maybe they'll become the "just for fun" store.

Christine said...

OK, I went to Giant the other day and actually found something that is cheaper there, than at Walmart.

Pommelo.