Friday, January 2, 2009

Freedom returns


Today we drove into the city with the four younger sons...a day of subway rides and museums. As we packed up to go, the boys scrambled to gather their Nintendo DS players, MP3 players, books for the car, and snacks I was struck by the realization that they were almost self sufficient. I had to gather my MP3, the camera, my tote of magazines for reading, etc. and that was it. I gave some instructions, but seriously they were all quite capable of getting ready - it was w.o.n.d.e.r.f.u.l.

Ok, I did pack a lunch/snack bag for all to share, but they were each responsible for the "I'm hungry" snack that would inevitably occur 5.7 miles from home! So, some granola bars, cheese sticks, drinkable yogurts, and a bag of freshly washed grapes and we were on our way!

The subway was a huge hit! We took the time to ride to extra stops just so they could enjoy the ride, and enjoy it they did! We managed to hit two museums with no meltdowns, accidents, injuries, etc. The boys were fabulous and we had a great day. I am amazed at how far we have come in this parenting. As the triplets (and boys in general) grow older I see our new opportunities. The years of "It's just too much work" have passed and I am in my head planning many jaunts out and about to explore -a trip to the steam engines a few hours north, hiking along the river, touring historical sites, etc. The possibilities are endless - freedom returns!

No comments: