Saturday, January 5, 2008

A conversation...

I was working a Preschool fair today, representing a local Charter School. I spent 3+ hours chatting with generally lovely, inquizative parents and delightful children, that is, until SHE came by my table.

"How is your school different?" she asked.

I waxed on about whole child learning, arts enrichment, community teaching etc. She listened patiently, seeming interested, until these words crossed her lips....

"Do you let those Special Ed kids into the classes with the normal kids?" Stunned, it took me a moment to formulate my answer...

"Yes, special education students are a part of our school and are integrated into our regular classrooms as providedfor and directed by federal law."

Her scowl grew as I spoke...

"We have a Special Education teacher on site as well as other support staff who assist not only the students but the teachers. They also provide intervention for children at risk."

Looking up at her face I realize, this is clearly a battle I will not win...

"Well, THOSE kids shouldn't be in a classroom with MY kid!"

No answer.....none....

I am thinking, I cannot be rude, I cannot speak my mind, I can not challenge her. I can only answer politely, calmly, and in a manner fitting my responsibility to the school. But, in my head I am SEETHING.

As the mother of a very Special Needs child I am stunned that she would lump all Special Ed students into the THOSE kids category. Those kids have needs that range from DS #1 who is in a self contained Special Ed class most of his day, to DS #2, who simply needs extra reading intervention and support, to DS #4 who has a speech impairment. All of my boys are delightful...how rude of this woman. She didn't care about the bullies or the foul mouthed kids or the kids whose parents expose them to violent media and allow them to duplicate it. No, she was full of hatred, and really, disgust for children like mine, children who are kind and loving and delightful to be around.

So, my reply...

"We are a caring community, fostering the individual learning of EACH of our students. We rely on a strong family partnership to help create this environment. We are bound by federal and state laws, but aside from that, we embrace EACH child and their unique abilities."

Thankfully she walked off after this. I walked off too, but in the opposite direction. We were, after all, very different people, with very different views...

1 comment:

Christine said...

Who knows what she's seen? Our son comes home, sometimes, really dispirited.

"That kid can't do anything. He sits in his chair and drools. The mean kids spit at him until he cries. His parents probably think putting him in regular school is going to help him, but he's not learning anything here and people treat him like shit."